A Tale Told of WASC: Part Six

By April of last year, it was widely known that I was no longer going to head up the Drama department (all one of me). My reason was simple. Lisa and I were expecting Kyle, and my days (and nights) of getting to campus at seven and not leaving until seven because of rehearsals or eleven because of performances were over. I wanted to be able to say I raised my son.

This, of course, left a problem. Every teacher is supposed to have an adjunct duty, one in which s/he is involved extra-curricularly. Some advise classes, like the Junior class and its prom; others time events at track meets; others are in charge of clubs. Drama had been my duty. The new Drama teacher would take over the Drama Club, so now I was adjunct-duty-less.

Teddi Applegate to the rescue. She needed an editor for the WASC report. I would be that man. And for my time (and Aimee Hamm’s, too, for she would be my co-editor), I would not be assigned with an adjunct duty. I would be spending "a few prep periods, now and then" doing some inputting and editing, but it was better than announcing basketball games.

By the end of last school year, Aimee and I had already logged more than two dozen hours on the report. And more would follow.

No comments: