More Fallout

Friday, March 24, 1995

Today is not really the twenty-fourth. It’s Saturday the twenty-fifth, but I didn’t get a chance to input last night. More on that later.

Yesterday morning, some spirits had risen, others were still down... not nearly as bad as Thursday, but bad enough. More word about the other schools’ reports is trickling in. Supposedly Pleasant Valley received a one-page report, a narrative with only global discussions; this is in complete contrast to the twenty-page draft we received as a suppository. Additionally, there is a rumor (unsubstantiated as yet) that Mission Oaks has received a two-week period to make changes to its Action Plan, which could improve an already glowing report. I guess each Committee takes on the personality of its chair. And more than one wag on campus has been saying Taratino (or Roto-Tiller as she is now dubbed [much better than the earlier version, Tortalini]) must be the GoD of her district. Lucky them.

The new Leadership Team is announced in the morning. A great line-up, all long-term thinkers. Some want to meet already. Others want to begin a cabal, whose sole purpose would be damage control and propaganda. When Aimee and Bob Johnston, both newly elected, tell me this, I volunteer to doctor the spin. Jack Knight, also elected as the only administrator on the Team, wants to begin meeting immediately, to take a pro-active and pre-emptive approach. He wants to start looking at schedule modifications before the d.o. can start talking about taking the block schedule away; Knight also declares all district-bashing verboten (it seems the Committee passed on our discontent with district [non]support to Superintendent Bill Kurtzmann, and he was unhappy, to say the least). All of this ties into the spin doctor cabal...put on a happy face and keep plugging away.

Between first and second, while on my run, I see Vince who cryptically says, "Watch the Video." With second period being exiled to Stalag Nine, we haven’t been watching the video period, but yesterday I make an exception. It’s the WASC Committee welcome video. I almost turn it off. Then I think, why would Vince tell me to watch something I’ve already seen. I keep it on. He’s added a new ending. More student footage, with a truly inspirational voice-over (Vince in his pastoral best), telling all of us, student and teacher alike, that we have worked hard, that we are reaping benefits, that we are all worthy. It’s wonderful. It simultaneously lifts my spirits and contracts my chest (I mist over a little as I write him a note, telling him how awesome this is and how it must make everyone feel so much better... and that a drink will be waiting for him at the Whale’s Tail, after school).

At lunch, Grey calls every person who had a hand in the WASC onto the quad’s stage to receive recognition and a wooden pen. It’s a nice gesture, though some feel that the recognition is tainted with the inclusion of some of the feet-dragging department chairs. C’est la vie. Aimee is presented with a plaque as well, as if that could really show her how well she did (despite what she may think).

After school, Aimee comes by my room to pick me up (she’s to follow me home, so that I can drop off the car; after she takes me to happy hour, Lisa and Kyle will pick me up). She sees part of the journal lying on my desk and she peruses it. She’s known about the journal, and she’s read some of it. Today, she’s reading more. She laughs out loud at spots. It’s good to hear her laugh again. She also says that this is evidence. Real evidence. And that it might be helpful in an appeal. Who knows?

Happy hour goes well. I think I finally have all the need for alcoholic commiseration out of my system. I passed out at eight o’clock.

No comments: