Remembrance of History Past: Sustenance

When I teach the Vocabulary to the Nines, I uncover the List--the words, parts of speech, and definitions--one by one on the overhead projector, sliding a sheet of paper from behind an overhead transparency inside a clear plastic page protector. This way, I have control over the speed at which the students copy the material from the screen. I can pace my lesson better.

A day in late May, the list included the word SUSTENANCE. "Sustenance: Noun; that which sustains life; food; means of making a living"

Then I give the students a couple of sentence examples to show how to use to word correctly.

"After the child had gone without SUSTENANCE for a week, he died of starvation." then "For me, teaching is SUSTENANCE; not only does it pay my bills, but I feel a need to do it. If I didn't teach, I don't know what else I would do."

Was I lying?

No comments: