The Grind

Thursday, March 9, 1995

Second period again. Thirteen absences. This down slightly from the seventeen gone on Tuesday, during the minimum day. This week has been very subdued. The new and improved Stalag Nine has started: no gum, no food, no drink, no pencils, no moving around, no Writer's Workshop, no freedom, no excuses accepted for lack of materials (no stuff = instant referral, which they have to fill out). Monday, I gave out three referrals for lack of reading book. I also distributed progress reports to the students, outlining not only their grades but their missing assignments and behavior as well. Monday was also grammar book check out day. It was the beginning of their two-week probationary period.

Tuesday was Open House day, Academic Detention day, the day they were to return the progress reports, and minimum day--so I knew attendance would be down somewhat. But seventeen absences is ridiculous. Yesterday was a staff in service day, so I had many referrals to hand out today, most for missed Academic Detention Tuesday, a few for missing materials, and Michael for disruption, mouthing off and a lack of materials (Jessie Stanford-Jones, the head of the special education department, pulled me aside yesterday to tell me that the department hadn't forsaken me; they are working on Jon and Michael, the latter has a special conference tomorrow to move him into Special Day Classes). The referrals were sent after roll and collection of both this week's Cultural Literacy assignment and the remainder of the progress reports. By the time this was finished, it was nine-thirty-five.

We went over today's DOL (daily oral language; I write a horribly incorrect sentence on the board--today: he has a bite on his line janice exclaimed as she runs over to help her Brother--the students copy it, correct it, then write the reasons for their changes; later in the period, I write the correct sentence on the board and the reasons for the changes, we discuss the changes, and the students make adjustments to their versions).

I checked off the vocabulary sentences (rough drafts for next week's list) and had them self-edit them; the students without sentences had this short opportunity to write them. Then we kicked into the Cultural Literacy. I had them take notes for next week's assignment; I went over the items, putting some concepts on the board, but having them take notes from what I say as well as from what I write. This week's material is from classic myth; I had a blast going over the Oedipus myth.

Then we dove into the grammar book. Today, they had four assignments, necessitating the use of two of their three pens, as well as their ugly orange books. Another referral to a student for lack of the text. And it took most of the class most of the period to finish the assignments. Drill and Kill. The Grind has begun. It keeps them quiet and working.

The only good thing about all this is that a few students are raising their grades since all work is done in class. The bad things include: more grading for me (since Tricia's senioritis has kicked in and her attendance is becoming spotty); grammar for the sake of grammar is not my idea of the greatest methodology or pedagogy in the world (though some of my departmental colleagues would disagree); plus I hate using work as punishment. But of course, punishment it is, and it is better than copying the dictionary (another punishment two of my colleagues have used and suggested).

I have already graded the assignments from today and discovered than many of them need "Do Overs"--meaning that they have failed to earn an A or a B on the assignment, so they must do it over until they do. This guarantees that they get the work right, and in this case forces them to work even harder. I have very little sympathy.

In thirty minutes, another round of Academic Detention begins. I expect a slightly better turnout than Tuesday, thanks to the referrals. We'll see.

No comments: