Philosophy

Wednesday, April 26, 1995

This morning, in the midst of Writers Workshop sessions in both English Nine classes, I introduced the concept of the Expository Paragraph. In some classes, this is called the text-based paragraph, in others the support paragraph. Whatever the name, the premise is the same: this paragraph uses evidence (usually textual, in literature-based compositions) to prove a thesis.

First, I read a sample paragraph (printed on the reverse of the handout I made), discussing the henpecked nature of Mr. White in W.W. Jacobs’ short story, "The Monkey’s Paw," a story read (kind of) last term (remember the sub-day from hell?). In the reading, I pointed out all the parts of the paragraph, discussing possible variations using Of Mice and Men, the work about which they’ll be writing. After the example, I went over the front of the handout with the students, discussing the parts of the paragraph and linking them back to the sample. Usually, it takes this kind of dual-directional approach to get the idea across. And it went fairly well today.

Every year, some student asks why we are doing this "hard" kind of writing, instead of our usual paragraphs, pseudo-essays, stories, and letters. It wasn’t asked today, but I answered it anyway.

If a student can write this kind of paragraph, if a student can analyze a piece of reading in this way to lead to logical conclusions, then that student can succeed in any English class on this campus or at any high school. And this isn’t merely confined to a standard, remedial track of English classes. This kind a paragraph is the cornerstone for all college preparatory classes. Thus, this is the centerpiece to my rationale.

These students, non-college prep, are used to having the more intensive writing and reading assignments watered down for them. And while this allows them possible success within these classes, it virtually guts their ability to succeed at the college prep level, and thus their ability to move on directly to a four-year college (and at times even junior colleges). My philosophy is that every student should have the tools with which to go on to a four-year university, and if that means giving them tools with which to take and succeed in college prep classes in high school, even the better.

This I told my Nines. I told them that my goal was that on their graduation day, whenever that might be, when they are holding their diplomas, that they will be able to say, "I don’t want to go to college," or "Now I can go to college," but NOT "I’d like to go to college but I can’t because I took the wrong classes." I told them that they are presently on a collision course with the last statement. English Nine, Ten, Eleven and Twelve will not get them into the Cal State system, let alone into my beloved UC. For some, this track won’t be of much help at the local junior colleges, either. The goal I’ve given myself, I told them, is to bring them to the point at which they can take college prep English next year. Then they can make the decision to go to college or not, not have it already made for them as freshmen by the counseling department.

I’m not sure how many student digested the message. A couple. But that’s okay. I’ve had quite a few standards go on to college and that’s more than would have gone without my rambling philosophical discourse. And I feel pretty good about that.

Of course, this charge I’ve given myself may change tomorrow. The district is reexamining the standard strand of classes, trying to (re-?)determine the expected outcomes for the standard track. Our first committee meeting is tomorrow. Maybe we’ll decide we want to keep "them" down, out of college, and I can just do worksheets all day long for the rest of my teaching career (however long that may be). Naw, Bill, don’t be too cynical.

It’s tough not to become cynical, though. So much of what we’ve worked so hard for has come to naught. We’re close to recreating the block schedule, but I have a feeling that tonight’s parent-student march on the Board meeting will most likely turn ugly and racial. Blurring the issue with race can sink our proposal. And yet—-come hell or high water-—there will be a march. How do I know this? There was a small flyer going around school today about the "MARCH"... meeting tonight in the C.H.S. parking lot, marching to and demonstrating before the Board meeting, with transportation back provided by the United Farm Workers. Not going to get racial? Right.

Now, I’m a union guy. I used to defend Cesar Chavez to my father, an ex-army sergeant and a manager in the agricultural industry. These guys are even affiliated with the AFL-CIO, as is my American Federation of Teacher. But still... this is a radical group, too ready to play the race card. It is a direction that I do NOT want to follow.

No comments: