Raiders of the Lost WASC

Monday, May 8, 1995

I have heard nothing of the upcoming WASC rebuttal/ appeal. I can only assume that top minds are working on it. Top. Minds. Aimee hasn’t mentioned it. I do not speak to Joanne unless circumstances allow me no other alternative (I don’t trust her, and I doubt that she likes me much. I’m over it.). At one time, I would have cared greatly. Now, I’m not sure anybody does.

As for the schedule, word trickling back to the Leadership Team concerning the new and improved proposal has ranged from questions bordering on the hostile to "no way"s to "no fucking way"s. From what I’ve gathered, there’s not too much support for it out there in the trenches. I’m not surprised.

Jesus, I’ve just read the last two paragraphs.

I need a break. Yes, I know it’s Monday, but I’ve got something more global in mind.

My first period class is hanging in there, but not really improving. Second period is at over twenty fails, and they only laughed at the news this morning. There are members of the class that I really loathe. And I feel bad about that. But not bad enough to Father Flanagan-myself into delving into each of my thirty problem-children’s problems, discovering for myself which of society’s ills has poisoned this or that particular young person’s intellectual curiosity. yadayadayada.

Lisa and I are off to Springs on Thursday.

The Brave New World discussions are great in 4/4H.

I’m introducing Shakespeare in the Nines.

But it’s still not enough.

Sorry for the depressing tone.

My mind wanders. I think of possibly turning this thing into a novel, maybe keeping the first section, the first term, of the journal exactly as is, then diverging from it in a fictionalized direction (The truth has been so disturbing, no one would be able to tell when the lies started). How’s this for a plotline? A shooting on campus.

A teacher goes "post office" and takes out four students and a top administrator (top. administrator.) in a bizarre lunch-time rampage in the front office. Naw. Too weird.

A student’s gun accidentally goes off during a random metal detector check, killing the student and a campus supervisor. Naw. Too ironic. Too blackly humorous.

A disgruntled student pulls a gun on a teacher in class, in an attempt to make the teacher look bad. The teacher doesn’t back down. Student shoots teacher in stomach. Teacher advances on student, telling the punk to make it a head shot or hand over the gun. Teacher disarms student then pistol-whips him into submission. Teacher taken away in an ambulance, then arrested for striking the student. Union allows teacher to take stress-induced disability, while student returns to class to terrorize the series of subs who take the teacher’s place. Yeah. That could work. And it’s plausible. All of it.

Now if I could just get one of the little fuckers to shoot me. Just a flesh wound, mind you, nothing really serious...

No comments: